Monday, June 29, 2009

Death of a friend

I work in a environment that comes with a great deal of sadness, illness, violence and, sometimes, death. I work in a psychiatric facility. I say this just to make a point that, though many negative things surround me, it still feels different when it is someone you have a bond with.
A co-worker of mine died yesterday. It wasn't work related and I knew he had been ill recently, but it hit me hard none the less. I had worked with Al on a Maximum Security unit years ago and had gone to watch his band play, at the local bars, a few times. Being a 3 doors down fan made it easy for me to warm to his style of music since I was able to sing right along and Al was always smiling and always friendly whenever we ran into each other.
When things like this happen I can't help wonder why that person? Why not me? I stand firm in my Christian faith and certainly know that the Creator of the Universe is not beholden to explain why life happens to me........ yet, I can't help but try to figure out what makes it all happen. Do we really do things that shorten or prolong our lives or are we simply numbers drawn from a bowl. I know that it serves My God's purpose yet I cannot fathom how. I guess that is where the part about being as little children comes in..........trust God, for he directs our path.
I feel a sense of loss with Al's passing away but, more so, I feel sad for the family that he leaves behind. My prayer is that they will be comforted and that God will use this to His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment