Thursday, July 23, 2009

Can the Government really give affordable healthcare?

As many readers know...... I work in the mental health field at a State Hospital and try to come from that perspective when writing about an issue. Today's issue addresses cost of care in the past and currently, and whether the government can really lower the cost of medical care by becoming more involved. let's look at reality:


One of my new patients received a piece of mail a few days ago that made him instantly angry and caused him to throw it on the floor, say a few obscenities, and become rude with the staff. What was this terrible piece of paper? What evil things did it have to say?..... It was a statement of "cost of care" while he was a patient at the State Hospital. It stated that his cost of care would be approximately $18,000 per month. Yes, that is per month!

I started working at this particular institution in 1986 and remember the cost of care being at approximately $2700 for each individual patient per month. This year I saw a patient's statement and it showed cost of care at approximately $18,000. Can somebody run the numbers for me? What is the percentage of increase in 23 years?

It appears to me, with my basic math, that the increase in the cost of care is approximately 700% over the past 23 years. Gold was between $300 and $400 in 1986 and is currently at About $950....... that is approximatelya 350% increase. To me that means that basic cost of medical care is increasing at a rate that is twice that of currency. Why is cost of care rising at such a fast rate and what can we do to bring the cost down?

I believe that increased government intervention is and will lead to an increase in cost of care with a reduction in care given. All one has to do is look at how other businesses have faired after the federal government took control. I, for one, am not ready to shuttle mother and other 'elderly' loved ones around me off to Hopice when they have a great deal of life to live. All we need to do to see how this will work is to look at other sytems and how they are fairing......My understanding is that Canada, after trying the social experiment, is looking at going back to private health care....... systems in Europe are doing the same thing. Why are we experimenting with a losing proposition when it has already been tried elsewhere and found to be lacking?

We don't have the perfect system.....but, it is the best system. America stands on the cutting edge and the lefties seek to equalize the field by reducing care for most so a small percentage of society will have the same coverage.......

Mr Obama, Senate and House leaders, come to this care you offer America and tell me it will suffice for you as well. I know it won't because you expect more. So do I! Keep your hands off my health care. I trust the free market over you any day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment